RSS Feed Widget

#WHOISTHISFUNKTIONAL Part 3

12:05 AM

Written by Jesus Figueroa

While speaking to Cal State Long Beach's National Association of Hispanic Journalist (NAHJ) and National Association of Black Journalist (NABJ) I talked about needing to enjoy being a journalist to be a good journalist.

I was asked what I like most about being an entertainment journalist.

It's taken me awhile to really consider this question and answer it adequately.

It's much like answering what I like most about life, living.

Journalism became a way to challenge myself and push my limits so I wouldn't just grow as a journalist, but as a person as well.

I like doing research, I like doing the footwork, finding my sources, meeting new people, hearing stories, finding a story, discovering the real story, sharing information, writing, re-writing, reporting and most of all I love the person that being a journalist has made me.

To summarize, I enjoy everything about being a journalist.

That's what being a journalist entails — dedication, persistence, loyalty and heart.

Journalist write the stories that become history. As a journalist, you write the words which one day can become the source for history books.

As journalist we owe a duty to be transparent even when it's not the popular opinion, to be truthful even when that truth hurts and to be loyal because journalist owe the public the duty to be their eyes and ears where they cannot be.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Find Us On Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe